HERE’S WHY YOUR SKINCARE REGIME IS NOT WORKING: YOUR SKIN TYPE HAS CHANGED
Right from the start, your skin is towards the dry side and you have always entrusted your skin to a few specific skincare products to do their work. Despite sticking to that foolproof skincare regime for years, your skin complexion suddenly became terrible – Inflamed skin, clogged pores and excessive oil. A 180 degree turn, seemingly out of nowhere.
So what has changed? Why are your holy grail skincare products not working anymore?
As a Bespoke Skin Health and Wellness Leader in Singapore, we’re here to break it down for you so that you can adapt your skincare regime accordingly.
Experts have broken down skin types into four main categories: Normal, Oily, Combination and Dry. From birth, your skin type is predetermined by your genetics. This does not mean that your established skin type will follow you through the different courses in life and it is bound to change overtime.
How can your skin type change?
Your skin type can change from being dry to oily and sensitive overnight, but it doesn’t just happen on its own. Let’s look at both intrinsic and extrinsic changes that happen around you that can cause adjustments to your skin type!
- Age: As we get older, our skin cells lose their capabilities of operating at their optimum renewal speed. This could mean lesser natural moisturizing factor and drier, itchy skin.
- Hormones: Your skin changes in direct response to hormones like estrogen and testosterone. When certain hormones are off balance, you will start to develop skin issues. For example, a declining level of estrogen, that normally stimulates oil glands, can cause your skin to be dry and flaky.
- Emotional Wellbeing: One of the top culprits of adult acne is emotional stress. It could be the constant overworking or undergoing a major shift in your life but these emotional stresses can create biological changes in your body by releasing stress hormone cortisol. An imbalance in your skin will happen as cortisol will direct your skin to produce more oil and hence, clogged pores and acne breakouts.
- Mask Wearing: We’re pretty sure you’ve heard the term Maskne. Wearing a mask is a permanent thing in our lives now and it’s not going to go away anytime soon! When your skin is sealed under the mask for long hours, sweat, bacteria and dirt are trapped in between the surfaces and this will inevitably lead to increased sensitivity and acne.
- Environmental Pollution: Did you know that the adverse impact of blue light (from digital devices etc) on your skin is real? This light can penetrate into the deep layers of your skin, causing your skin cells to shrink and die off, speeding up the aging process. With the induction of oxidative stress and collagen degeneration, it is no doubt your skin type is going to change. Other types of pollution include sun and air pollution (such as dust particles, cigarette smoke and so on).
- Weather/Climate: There are times where Singapore’s weather can get really humid and hot. And when this happens, it can wreak havoc on your skin through inflammation, sensitivity and dehydration.
It is common for a mixture of extrinsic and intrinsic factors to come together and take a toll on your skin, as many of them are usually interlinked.
Should you still stick to your current skincare routine?
A huge NO! We know how giving up your current habitual skincare routine may make you feel uneasy or a complete waste or money. But in the situation of having a completely different skin type, using the same products will only bring about harmful effects, throwing off your skin’s pH balance and more.
Instead, think long term for your skin health and do your skin a favour by realigning your regime to the most recent skin condition.
How should you adapt your skincare routine?
First and foremost, you need to know exactly what are the changes in your skin type. Has it become drier? Oiler? Or both?
Instead of deducing from your naked eye (we’re all humans that make errors!) or trying to self-predict, make use of existing cutting edge technology that can help determine the different dimensions of your skin. TARABLISS Personalised Skin Diagnosis by IOMA Paris uses NASA Edge Technology to measure the deep layers of your skin, focusing on: Hydration Levels, Fine Lines & Wrinkles, Lip Contour, Seborrhoea, Skin Barrier, Sagging Skin and Dark Eye Circles.
The most amazing thing? It can keep track of the changes of your skin every single month – the only medical-grade machine that allows comparisons to be done. This can immediately take the guesswork out of building an effective skincare routine and ensures that your skin is always at its top of the game.
Follow Gizelle as she did her TARABLISS Personalised Skin Diagnosis by IOMA Paris and created her own 100% Personalised Mon Serum.
Here’s the next exciting bit: You’ll get to generate your own bespoke skincare prescriptions based on the skin diagnosis. We’ve got a mini lab in our studio to create your own Mon Serum, Ma Creme (Day) and Ma Creme (Night). The formulas of these skincare products are entirely based on your skin diagnosis – which means that your skin is going to receive the right amount of Nutrients, Vitamins, Peptides, Antioxidants and more depending on its present condition.
How should my facial treatment cater to the change in skin type?
Just like adapting your skincare regime to the most recent skin type you have, your monthly facial treatments should also cater to your present skin condition. Our beauty therapists will curate a suitable facial treatment based on your skin diagnosis to truly target your skin concerns and give you that dream skin you have always sought after.
Good news! If your skin issues are surfacing due to hormonal imbalances, TARABLISS has a range of Hormonal Imbalance Facial Treatments to target different stages of your life such as menopause, aging, menstruation or pre/post-natal. Our revolutionary treatments help to address your hormonal issues early and effectively to keep your skin in check and glowing!
Let’s have a #TARAdate!